Join our Science Committee
ANZIC is looking for vibrant and passionate individuals to join the renowned ANZIC Science Committee. If you have a keen interest in international and interdisciplinary research, a love for collaboration, and a desire to make a meaningful impact on Earth’s mysteries, this is the opportunity for you!
Hurry! Expressions of Interest close December 8, 2023.
Candidates from member institutions not currently represented on the Science Committee are particularly encouraged to apply (Macquarie University, Queensland University of Technology, Monash, University of Queensland, University of Wollongong, University of Auckland, Victoria University, NIWA, University of Otago).
The committee has oversight of ANZIC’s scientific program, including setting criteria and assessing and ranking applications for expeditions, post-expedition support, legacy projects and workshops.
What’s in it for You?
- Knowledge boost: Enhance your understanding of IODP and ICDP science, operations and opportunities. Gain valuable insights into cutting-edge research themes from climate, deep life, geodynamics, geohazards, and resources on land and in the vast ocean.
- Collaborate globally: Forge connections with professionals, researchers, and institutions nationally and worldwide, creating opportunities for collaboration and growth. Connect with experts from around Australia and broaden your network within the International Ocean Discovery Program (IODP) and International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP).
- Impactful contribution: Be a key player in decisions that shape scientific and educational opportunities, funding support, and governance at ANZIC.
- ANZIC celebrates a spectrum of perspectives! ANZIC proudly boasts a committee rich in diversity, welcoming applicants from various backgrounds, including post-graduate students, early and mid-career researchers.
This is your invitation to become part of our dynamic team and contribute your distinct thoughts and unique viewpoint at the ANZIC table!
The Science Committee: scientific oversight
- Set the criteria for ANZIC Expeditioner selection reflecting IODP and/or ICDP policy and guidelines.
- Assess and rank applicants for Expeditioner status and support by ANZIC.
- Set the criteria for ANZIC post-expedition and legacy project support
- Assess and rank applications for ANZIC post-expedition and legacy project support for advice, reflecting appropriate support of post-expedition and legacy grants.
- Set criteria, assess and rank applicants for other calls for scientific funding support (e.g. workshops and trainings) supported by ANZIC.
- Execute effective scientific governance of ANZIC.
ANZIC’s Science Committee will assess applications based on motivation, experience, diversity, and alignment with research themes.
Preference will be given to
How to apply
Submit a (1) one page Expression of Interest (EOI) and a (2) two-page CV to email@example.com.
Your EOI should express your motivation, experience, research theme expertise, and alignment with IODP and/or ICDP. Showcase your primary field of expertise, any previous committee experience, and your passion for the scientific exploration of Earth’s wonders.
Curriculum Vitae should include (2 page max):
- Academic/ Professional Qualifications
- Employment History
- Selected recent publications or relevant government/industry reports or outputs
- Recent Synergistic Activities (g. service, committee, reviewer)
- Relevant Field experience (last 5 years)
Applications will close on 8 December 2023. Submit applications to Kelly Kenney, ANZIC Administrator.
Outcomes expected to be announced in late December 2023.
Please send questions and comments to Sarah Kachovich, ANZIC Program Manager.